PHASE I: CONCEPTUALIZE
When you are able to connect with your audience in a way they understand, they will be much more receptive to your message. Doing so requires thoughtful research into the deep desires of your audience. We’ll discuss audience needs assessment techniques and a robust presentation planning framework that works.
- What your stakeholders are thinking but aren’t telling you
- Audience needs assessment + interview strategies
- Transforming statements to insights
- Creating recommendations that get acted upon
- A proven influential presentation planning framework
- Content brainstorming techniques
- Digitizing and refining your content plan
PHASE II: VISUALIZE SLIDES + DATA SECTION I: SLIDE DESIGN
The most important, innovative, or valuable ideas can be lost if they’re communicated poorly. By learning to think like a graphic and data designer, you’ll be able to present your information in a clear and compelling way. We’ll review neuroscience-backed design principles, how to work with imagery, and how to avoid the most common visual pitfalls.
You’ll learn time-saving tricks on how to customize a PowerPoint template with client branding for reuse, quick formatting tricks for basic charts, and my best keyboard shortcuts to get things out the door fast.
SECTION II: THE PICA PROTOCOL PRESCRIPTION
Students are introduced to Lea’s proprietary PICA Protocol™, my prescription for healthy, actionable data stories. It includes the anatomy of a healthy data viz, a full framework for visualizing analytical narrative, as well as alternatives for avoiding the most common data visualization mistakes.
- Alternative strategies to death by bullet points
- White space, typeface, color, imagery, and other design fundamentals
- Time-saving Powerpoint productivity tricks
- Common data visualization violations
- Creative animation techniques
- Lea’s proprietary Chart Detox Checklist